from Portland Chef Thomas Boyce, featured in Portland Monthly magazine
time to table: 25 minutes
1/2 lb pancetta, diced*
pinch chile flakes
1 clove garlic or small shallot, chopped
8 tb butter
1/2 lb Dungeness crab meat
1 lemon (zest & juice)
handful arugula leaves
fresh pasta, semolina or buckwheat linguine
* because pancetta is hard to find around here, I use Beeler’s brand “british back bacon” (at Market of Choice, it’s right next to the regular Beeler’s bacon)
1. Cook pancetta in a large saucepan over low heat until fat renders, about 5 minutes
2. Add chili flakes and garlic/shallot and cook for 1 minute. Add butter and cook until melted.
3. Add crab, lemon zest, and salt to taste. Add lemon juice and keep warm over low heat.
4. Cook pasta according to package directions (about 5 minutes) in boiling salted water.
5. Strain pasta, transfer to a serving bowl, and toss with arugula and crab mixture.